Since starting out, Zona Franca has offered companies a production location with competitive conditions and a long list of high-quality services, comprising the industrial park, our business parks and urban buildings. While the main focus of our business is the management and administration of Industrial Park assets in the Zona Franca and Zona Franca Aduanera (Customs Free Zone), our business model extends to a wide range of activities:
Basic activity of the Zona Franca
- Industrial Park
- Zona Franca Aduanera
- DFactory Barcelona
Business venues outside the basic area of operation
- Business parks
- Service centres
- Stand-alone buildings
Meeting Rooms and Events
- Event organisation
For companies, the highlights of our services are the proper implementation of security procedures in the communal areas that we manage. Our leadership on self-protection, security, cybersecurity and our ongoing collaboration with State forces and agencies secures us one of the most competitive positions in the country. In 2019, the Zona Franca’s security department participated in programmes with Spain’s National Police, Guardia Civil, Mossos d’Esquadra (Catalonia police) and the Catalonia Regional Government’s Ministry of the Interior:
- Activation of emergency plans
- Regular operations
- Support programmes between public and private security
In addition, we have made significant investments to ensure that our Security Centre works 24/7:
- Mobile fleet that patrols our properties
- Remote monitoring of our properties
- Video surveillance and control of our access points
In this area, one of the biggest investments in 2019 was the Project ZF 2020: an intelligent advance warning system for vehicles in the access routes and perimeter of the Zona Franca, to be coordinated with the security forces and organisations.
We are the first to offer a public cardiac protection service, in which we installed more defibrillators in 2019 and have offered more training in basic first aid.
Since 2019, all spaces and vehicles managed by the Zona Franca offer cardiac protection
We boost the economy of the metropolitan area while enhancing the international profile of Barcelona, Catalonia and Spain within the logistics, property, trade fair and business sectors.
- We lead spaces for manufacturing development and technology transfer.
- We apply innovation to make progress on sustainability and economy 4.0.
- We collaborate with key economic stakeholders and with social and humanitarian organisations
- 113 in the ZF Industrial Park
- 38 in the ZF Customs Zone
- 24 in ZF spaces
The study “Economic impact of the activity of the Free Zone Consortium in Barcelona”, prepared by Deloitte using data from 2018, demonstrates the organisation’s value as a strategic asset for Barcelona and a genuine economic driver for Catalonia.
Contribution to GDP
Barcelona Zona Franca Consortium:
- 30.6 million Euros contributed to GDP
Companies located in the basic area of activity
- 9.081 million Euros contributed to GDP
9.112 millones equivalent to:
- 11% GDP of the Province of Barcelona
- 3.8% GDP of Catalonia
- 0.7% GDP of Spain
The activity of the Zona Franca and of the companies located in its main area of operation contribute to a total of 137.322 jobs.
- 5% of the province of Barcelona workforce
- 3.5% of the workforce of Catalonia
- 0.6% of the workforce of Spain
2.684 million Euros in tax returns in Catalonia. Every Euro spent in the Zona Franca generates tax revenue of 0.31 Euros.
- 708 million Euros in VAT
- 455 million Euros in Corporation Tax
- 1.520 million Euros in Income Tax
Companies with the biggest economic impact:
Automotive 63% of the total expenditure by companies –
Principally due to the activity of SEAT and Nissan
Chemical industry: 20% of the total expenditure by companies
Principally due to the activity of BASF and Quimidroga
Logistics: 4% of the total expenditure by companies
Principally due to the activity of Schenker Logistics
Zona Franca industrial park, a place that gains and contributes to gaining value
With 145 companies, many of which are multinationals, the Industrial Park of the Zona Franca is one of Spain’s largest industrial areas and one of the foremost geostrategic elements for Barcelona and Catalonia.
Our commercial dynamism, the flexibility of rental conditions and the renovation of spaces marked 2019 as a year in which the attraction of the Free Zone multiplied.
- We are the natural gateway to the EU for third countries.
- A natural geographic and cultural bridge to north Africa and Latin America.
- The key to Barcelona’s economic potential.
- An area offering companies a multitude of places in which to gain value
- 4,7 mill. m2 total area
- 3,6 mill. of commercial premises
- Real Estate department:
Zona Franca Aduanera, strategic and distinctive
The Barcelona Zona Franca Aduanera (Customs Free Zone) plays a strategic and key role in the Zona Franca’s historic business. Its magnificent location next to the port, airport, goods rail station and road network gives the ZFA an advantageous position in terms of logistics.
The Zona Franca Aduanera is a member of the World Free Zones Organization (WFZO) and the Association of Free Zones of the Americas (AZFA), among others.
In 2019, we looked into extending its main site to house advanced economic activities that could make the manufacturing sectors that operate there become more modern. These companies would benefit from its special framework: exemption from import duties, domestic taxes and trade policy measures.
- 27 resident companies
- 86000 m2 of wharehouses
- 3000 m2 of lockups
- 9000 m2 of offices
- 160000 m2 area
- Guardia Civil police presence (Fiscal Protection)
Business Parks, transforming the land
The Zona Franca has been leading the modernisation of a large number of industrial areas in Catalonia, particularly in the metropolitan area of Barcelona. In total, there are more than 9,700,000 m2 of industrial premises in various phases of development.
Purchasing land, transforming it and then making it available for sale is another value-generating activity for us.
Urban projects, buildings for urban development
We play an important role in the promotion of Barcelona’s real estate and are proud to have contributed buildings that drive research and development to the city and its surroundings.
These are buildings wholly managed by us. Specifically, we manage the commercial aspect by leasing offices as well as the overall maintenance of the buildings.
- Buildings of high architectural quality
- 5 buildings for R+D and high-occupancy economy
- 3 new districts to update the urban fabric of Barcelona
As well as urban buildings, Zona Franca also manages Service Centres that facilitate tertiary activities in industrial areas. These are buildings with management shared between the Zona Franca and public bodies.
Events and international profile: 2019, the year Barcelona became the logistics world capital
For two decades, we have organised the leading trade fairs for the property, logistics and business sectors in Spain and the Mediterranean, which has provided us with specific event know-how in addition to raising the international profile of Barcelona, Catalonia and Spain
2019 was a year of major events
Barcelona acted as the business hub for international logistics with the organisation of a historic summit for the trade and logistics sector, with various events held simultaneously. In autumn, once again it hosted the unmissable date in the Spanish property calendar, Barcelona Meeting Point.
Shares in companies and institutions
The Barcelona Zona Franca Consortium plays an active role in various projects that aim to boost Barcelona’s business capacity and make it ever more competitive.
Barcelona - Catalunya Centre Logistic
Public-private organisation whose principal objective is to develop the city and its logistics community into southern Europe and the Mediterranean’s key platform for the provision of logistics services and to promote its international profile in a globalised economy.
Institut d’estudis regionals i metropolitans de Barcelona
The Consortium forms part of the Governing Board of Barcelona’s Institut d’Estudis Regionals i Metropolitans, which leads research and assessments related to Barcelona and its metropolitan area. The Institute is a pioneer in the analysis of trends and the issues facing large cities.
Pla estratègic metropolità de Barcelona
The CZFB forms part of the governing bodies of the Barcelona’s Pla Estratègic Metropolità (Strategic City Plan), which contributes to the development of new ideas and economic, social and institutional projects. The objective of the association is to discover opportunities and promote innovative courses of action.
The rich fabric of Barcelona’s civil society is made up of numerous institutions, foundations and associations in which the Consortium plays an active role via their various governing bodies. Notable examples include:
El Consorci también impulsa empresas que desarrollan proyectos innovadores a través de la participación financiera en la sociedad:
BARCELONA MEETING POINT - FERIA INMOBILIARIA INTERNACIONAL
- Share capital: 1,333.8600 Euros
- Share: 100%
- Organises industry events for the real estate and logistics sectors.
BARCELONA REGIONAL AGÈNCIA DE DESENVOLUPAMENT URBA, SA
- Share capital: 1.53 million Euros
- Share: 12.5%
- An architecture and engineering consultancy, Barcelona Regional researches, drafts and manages projects for the city and metropolitan area.
IBERIA DESARROLLO BARCELONA, SL
- Share capital: 6 million Euros
- Share: 25%
- Construction and operation of an aircraft maintenance hangar at El Prat airport.
PARC TECNOLÒGIC DEL VALLÈS, SA
- Share capital: 6,93 million Euros
- Share: 49,39 %
- Manages the centre that is home to companies dedicated specifically to R+D.
BARCELONA STRATEGICAL URBAN SYSTEMS, SA
- Share capital: 532.000 euros
- Share: 25 %
- Consultancy whose main objective is to export the Barcelona urban planning model to the international market.
BARCELONA EMPRÈN, SCR
- Share capital: 3.82 million Euros
- Share: 1,19 %
- Barcelona Emprèn invests in innovative microenterprises. The support is focused on growth and development process. The priority sectors for investment are telecommunications, electronics, internet, computing, biotechnology and audiovisual content.
PROVIURE CZF, SL
- Share capital: 860.000 euros
- Share: 50 %
- Constituted by the Consortium and Caixa Catalunya Proviure. Its objective is to build and manage a housing estate for rentals in Barcelona, aimed at young and elderly people.
PROVIURE CZF PARC D’HABITATGES, SL
- Share capital: 3.52 million Euros
- Share: 50 %
- Promotion of housing aimed at young and elderly people.